The Wellesley Society of Artists, Inc.
The Wellesley Society of Artists, Inc. (WSA) was founded in 1933 to support and encourage local artists, while promoting the fine arts in Wellesley, MA and surrounding communities. Today, the WSA, Inc. is a non-profit tax-exempt 501 (C)(3) organization with members from all over the metro Boston area as well as Cape Cod and the Islands. We promote the fine arts in the community through member exhibitions, artist demonstrations, educational programs and online resources.
The WSA gives members opportunities to exhibit their work, provides a supportive environment that will stimulate personal creativity, and encourages the sharing of ideas, knowledge and skills.
WSA member objectives are to give Exhibiting Members an opportunity to exhibit their work in community venues that attract an appreciative and receptive population, including the Wellesley Free Library and Wellesley Community Center. WSA Exhibiting Member status carries special significance because it is achieved through a juried process of fellow artists and professionals. We welcome artists in all two-dimensional media through this juried process.
Exhibiting Members may submit work to each of our exhibitions. Professional artists judge our shows, and the WSA awards cash prizes to the winning artists. We prominently post winning art on our website’s Award Winner Gallery.
The WSA also creates a dedicated website page for each Exhibiting Member accessed through our gallery. Take a look at our collective talent!
Throughout the year, we provide programs, critiques and demonstrations in various media by professional artists, including Bob Norieka (watercolor), Odin Smith (acrylics, pastel and watercolor), David Wells Roth (oil), Maris Platais (acrylic), David Curtis (oil on canvas), and Ted Minchin (demo on paper of realism and abstraction simultaneously).
We also open our doors to general members, as well as juried Exhibiting Members, through an associate membership status. All members enjoy a supportive environment that will stimulate personal creativity and encourage the sharing of ideas, knowledge and skills.
WSA’s community outreach is integral to our organization:
- All WSA events, including meetings, exhibitions, and artist workshops, [link to calendar] are open to the public.
- The WSA shares videos of past demonstrations and critiques as a resource for anyone interested in art.
- We encourage artistic development among youth through the WSA Art Achievement Award [link to news article] to recognize and support the efforts of art students at the Wellesley High School.
- The WSA regularly collaborates with the Wellesley Garden Club to inspire our own local Art in Bloom, where the garden club creates floral arrangements to complement chosen artwork.
- Our exhibits enhance public spaces in our town.
- We gather and share links to greater Boston community fine arts resources and events.
We cannot fulfill our mission without the generous donations of supporters and sponsors. Please consider making a donation to the WSA.
Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
Many thanks to our generous community of Supporters:
- Lucy Davis of MarketNext Communications
- 3 Anonymous